An AmeriCorps Program
Become an AmeriCorps Community HealthCorps Member!
We are hiring for the 2015-2016 service year!
To apply, please create and submit an application through the AmeriCorps website. Use their search function to locate Community HealthCorps at the Institute for Family Health, and follow the instructions. Applicants must also complete a supplemental application and return it as directed to the Program Coordinator.
Community HealthCorps is an AmeriCorps national service program that promotes health care for the underserved while training future healthcare workers. At the Institute for Family Health, Community HealthCorps members engage in a variety of projects that promote access to health care and health information in medically underserved communities.
For a glimpse into what it’s like to be a HealthCorps member at the Institute visit the Institute for Family Health Community HealthCorps Blog. On the blog you’ll find member profiles, details about our events and service projects, and photos of our members in action! If you’re interested in applying to our program, please keep in mind the recruitment process begins in the spring. Applications are considered on a rolling basis and candidates are encouraged to apply as early as possible. The Community HealthCorps program generally runs on an academic year schedule from September-August.
The Institute for Family Health’s Community HealthCorps members serve in many exciting positions as they gain experience in the health field. Our positions vary each year, but in previous years positions have included:
- Conducting one-on-one and group health education sessions on preventive health topics such as diabetes and prenatal care with patients at our health centers
- Assisting with care management at our health centers that serve Conducting health outreach for the Bronx Health REACH program
- Engaging with our School Based Health Centers to provide reproductive health services and reproductive health education to and access to health services to high school students
- Serving as an educator and support person for women accessing reproductive health services
- Serving as a breastfeeding counselor to new mothers in our Kingston pediatric site in Ulster County
As a HealthCorps member you are expected to serve full time for an eleven-month term of service, from September through early August. As a member you are eligible to receive the following benefits:
- A living stipend of $12,530 to be distributed biweekly over the term of service.
- An education award upon completion of service of $5,730
- Health insurance coverage through AmeriCorps
- Child care benefits (if eligible)
- Student loan deferment for qualified student loans
- Extensive opportunities for professional development
- Travel stipend
Our program is very competitive and we receive many applications each year. The following are the minimum requirements for consideration:
- You must be a United States citizen, United States national, or lawful permanent resident
- You must have a high school diploma or GED or offer a commitment to obtain one during the service year
- You must be at least 18 years of age
- You must have a strong commitment to service
- You must have a respect for and interest in working in medically underserved communities
To submit a supplemental application, or for more information, please contact Chris Goodwin at or 212.633.0800 ext. 1364.